What a season at the Vanier Collective Gardens this year! A detailed update is available on the
website below. In sum, we can easily state that this project is thriving with success following
improved infrastructures and increased visibility within the Vanier community. Our goal to make
it a tool accessible to all teachers, staff, programs and sectors of the college is being achieved at an
unprecedented rate. A Guide for Teachers and Staff is now available on the website. As usual, I invite
you to contact me to discuss how this special live laboratory and educational landscape can serve
you in your pedagogy. Our slogan Growing Knowledge drives all the initiatives we undertake!
Volunteers welcome: Urban gardens need people to flourish. Likewise, the benefits and stress-relieving effects of gardening on humans have been proven. Everyone can participate without any experience needed. Further, anyone can
harvest and enjoy the produce, though moderately and respectfully.
Gardening Sessions for August-September with Janella, Shazia or Myriam:
· Every Monday, 12:00-13:30
· Every Tuesday, 12:30-14:00
· Every Thursday, 10:30-12:00
Location: We always start at the Open garden and then perhaps move to other planters on campus – please check on the garden
shed’s chalk board to find out where we are.
In case of rain: come to B205 for indoor gardening workshops.
Garden Meeting – open to all: September 12, 12:00-13:00 in B205. For details please contact Myriam.
Making use of the Open Garden space: A key to the garden shed is available to all Vanier ID holders at the Security office, allowing anyone to
use the space for either gardening or social events such as the “Eclipse at the Garden” event on August 21. Contact me to organize your own
Access educational material & audio-visuals on the Gardens:
– Visit the Gardens’ website: http://www.vaniercollege.qc.ca/sustainability-major/collective-gardens/
– Visit the Gardens’ Omnivox Portal Community: https://vaniercollege.omnivox.ca/intr/VanierCollectiveGardens/
Stay informed of upcoming gardening sessions and other events:
– Sign up to our mailing system, Mail Chimp: http://eepurl.com/b7vStn
– Join our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/956934947670755/
– Contact Myriam Mansour at firstname.lastname@example.org or ext. 7329
Thank you for passing the information on to your students and colleagues!
Written by: Myriam Mansour, Geography